Dear Friend (Fall 2008)

Our Thoughts on The Perks of Being a Wallflower and Other Stuff

Sunday, December 7, 2008

12/7/08

Dear Friend,
For my English class I was required to read The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. This book is about a high school freshman going through his first year of school and all the challenges that school brings teenagers. He deals with drugs, friends, siblings, and even his sister’s abortion.
My two favorite scenes are in the beginning of the book and at the very end in the epilogue. The first scene is when he goes to his first high school party. This is one of my favorite parts of the book because I believe this to be a very exciting part in people’s high school experience. Also I can relate to this situation because his first high school party was very much like mine. Except I didn’t make use of the drugs that were available. This was also a funny scene because he takes drugs and gets his first high. But we also begin to learn the degree of his mental instability when, for the first time in the book, “everything starts spinning”. We don’t know what this means until the end of the book when he has his nervous breakdown. But he gets fairly close here and I myself was left questioning the term “spinning”. My favorite part of this book is in the epilogue when Sam and Brad pick up Charlie and take him through a ride in tunnel. When he stands up in the back of the truck when they are driving through the tunnel I put myself in his shoes and I felt completely free like I wasn’t even sitting down reading the book. I just forgot where I was for that moment and pictured myself moving through that tunnel not a care in the world, just enjoying the moment.
One of the most significant parts of the book was when he took his sister to the clinic to get her abortion. Even though him and his sister didn’t get along very well Charlie did the right thing by here and took his sister. This part of the book really put an emphasis on family and how important family is in hard times. Who knows what would have happened if Charlie’s sister had to talk to her mom and dad about her pregnancy. But Charlie was there for his sister and after this event they became closer for the rest of the book and remained close.
In my opinion the ending of the book was not what I expected. The way the book was shaping up I thought he was going to die or worse. But he ends up having a mental breakdown and has to recover in the hospital. But this is when you figure out what all the “spinning” means and this is also the same thing that happened when his aunt died, which he explains at the beginning of the book. All in all this entire book is a defiant read for you or anyone willing to set aside the time to read a book.

No comments: